The one about what Will Lynch expects from college
Ahh.. the question that should be asked of EVERY high school seniors with his or her mind set on continuing his or her education... "What do you expect from college?" Maybe if someone had asked me that I would've made my mind up as to where I was headed long before February of my senior year.
Truth be told I'm not sure what I expect from college to this day. Two years ago I'd had my heart set on Texas, Mizzou, UMKC; I was even upset when my parents suggested me going to Southwest Missouri State. At that point in my life I expected independence from college, using it as a means of escape. I was completely ready to move on from good ol' Joplin, MO and spread my wings and explore the world, or at least somewhere else in the Midwest.
Then toward the beginning of my senior year, my dad had offered me a nice new truck in exchange for going to Missouri Southern, at that point in my life I expected transportation from college, using it as a means of leverage. Sadly, this was the main things that got me set on MoSo. It'd be dirt cheap and I'd get a shiny red truck, who could ask for more? Plus, I'd get to stay close to my friends and my family and that ONE girl (ironically, when I think about it from that aspect now, I just want to run away)
Then I had my interview with Dr. Martinek for the Honors Program. I realized what I NEEDED from college. I needed to break loose from traditional thinking. I needed to learn and not just be taught. I needed a challenge. It was explained to me that Missouri Southern's Honors Program was much like that large unversity education that I had longed for a few years before. It was the perfect situation for me, I'd get my truck, my education, my friends and maybe a couple of extra dollars in the end for all my trouble. But the best part of it, I'd be challenged.
And that's what I expect from college, at the very least, a challenge. And if you ever talk to someone that's trying to decide where they should go after high school is over, be sure to ask them "what do you expect from college?" you just might change his or her life.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home