The one about Will Lynch and dedication
So here's the wrap on last semester; I put forth minimal effort, didn't show up for class half the time, didn't care, didn't want to be here.. didn't realize the opportunities I had, didn't realize what I was jeopardizing. So, in spite of all this nonsense I managed an above 3.0 (yet below 3.5) GPA, which in hindsight isn't so bad with a semester full of 14 Honors Hours. But the truth is that I still squandered away a semester full of core classes in which I SHOULD have had a 4.0. On top of that I squandered away one of only two semesters I'd be able to enjoy under our fantastic Honors Director, Dr. Pat Kluthe, which is something I know for a fact that I will regret later.
Now, to say I've got a new lease on life or I've turned over some edition of 'new leaf' is inculcated and didactic, and mostly not true. It's not that I've decided that school is important because I've always felt that it is. It's not that I feel as if I owe it to everyone around me to put forth maximum effort, because, to be brutally honest, maximum effort is a lot to ask for. It's not even that I'm afraid of losing my scholarship, I mean the extra money is nice, but it's just money. The secret behind my 'success' this semester is playing to my strengths, or to be more percise, playing to my weaknesses.
I don't get up before 9. Not this semester. Not ever again as long as I have a say in it. I don't even HAVE to go to class on tuesdays or thursdays. That gives me 3 days of school and 4 days of fun (not that I don't get to have fun on those three days of school.) Nine credit hours in person, eight credit hours on-line (it's beautiful I know.)
So the truth is, I haven't conformed to the rules of Missouri Southern or the Political Science of Secondary Education departments or the Honors Program (they wouldn't want me to conform anyway.) I just conformed school to me. And it's worked beautifully so far.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home